Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Boiler Injector




This is my Penberthy Automatic Boiler feedwater injector.  It is based on 1800's technology to use a boiler's own steam pressure to pump new water into the boiler. From what I understand it uses  the boiler's steam to  accelerate liquid water to supersonic speeds to force the water into the same boiler.  This specific one is designed  to pump around 180 gallons/hour of water into boilers which are up to around 185 psi  ( 680 litres, 13 bar).

It does all this WITHOUT any mechanical moving parts.

Over several years I have asked every steam historian and expert I could find in person, phone , and internet if anyone knew of anyone who had ever experimented on using an injector to supply water for a "monotube steam generator" instead of the normal way of using a mechanical pump. 

So far I have found a few that said that it will not work, a few that have said it might work, and nobody who knows of anyone who has tried it.

Years ago, my dad was talking to someone else about me and gave me a compliment. He said "When other people are standing around wondering if something could be done, Doug is already doing it".   

Will it work? I don't know.  Am I going to try it?  Yes I am. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

i bought this injector off of ebay about 7 years ago. it is made out of bronze.

Hazel Grace said...

An expansion tank or expansion vessel is a small tank used to protect closed Expansion tank for boilers.

Chemical treatment service in Ontario

forward and reverse manifolds done

finished the forward and reverse manifolds, next will be the reversing valve.